Three Poems Contemporary Irish Poetry Index
Mark Roberts is a Sydney based writer, critic and publisher. He is a founding editor of Rochford Street Review and is the curator of the current feature on Contemporary Irish Poetry which has run through issue 22 of the Review.
Most of Mark’s family on his mother side left Ireland in the second half of the 19th century, driven out by the famine and a dislike for English oppression. Over generations in Australia they maintained their sense of ‘Irishness’ and, at times, that Irishness has found its way into Mark’s work.
Mark founded Rochford Street Press in the early 1980s to publish a literary magazine called P76. Rochford Street Press has also published a number of books, pamphlets and chapbooks over the years and is recognised as one one of the smallest literary presses in the world.
Mark’s own work has been widely published in magazines and journals in Australia and overseas. Concrete Flamingos, a collection of his recent work was published by Island Press in 2016 and he currently has a few new projects in flight.
- Stepping out of Line Rochford Street Press, 1985. Out of print.
- Concrete Flamingos Island Press 2016 available from https://rochfordstreetpress.wordpress.com/rochford-street-press-titles/
- Decades of Percolation: Anna Couani Launches Concrete Flamingos by Mark Roberts https://rochfordstreetreview.com/2016/03/16/decades-of-percolation-anna-couani-launches-concrete-flamingos-by-mark-roberts/
- Two issues of P76 are currently available on-line:
- Issue 1 https://p76issue1.wordpress.com/
- Issue 6 https://p76issue6.wordpress.com/
- A listing of all issues can be found at https://rochfordstreetpress.wordpress.com/p76-literary-magazine/
- Mark’s personal website, Printee Shadows, can be found here: https://printedshadows.wordpress.com/
- A listing of many of Mark’s publications can be found here: https://printedshadows.wordpress.com/mark-roberts-resume/