Martin Langford has published seven books of poetry including The Human Project (Puncher & Wattmann, 2009) and Ground (P&W 2015). Eardrum, a book of poems about music, has been side-swiped by Covid-19, but will be launched (somehow) in 2020. He is the editor of Harbour City Poems: Sydney in Verse 1788-2008 (P&W, 2009) and co-editor (with J. Beveridge, J. Johnson and D. Musgrave) of Contemporary Australian Poetry (P&W, 2016). Since 2012, he has been a poetry critic and essayist for Meanjin. He has also written aphorism (Neat Snakes, 2018) and poetics (Microtexts, Island, 2005). An invitee at international festivals, including Trois Rivières, Medellin, Granada and Struga, his work has been translated into French, Chinese, Italian, Spanish and Arabic. He will retire as Chair of Australian Poetry in April 2020.
He is interested in the way we try to imagine ourselves beyond our biological inheritance, and in the way we project our social and imaginative spaces. He lives on the northern outskirts of Sydney, and the landscape of that area often features in his work.
“There is no Australian poet more dedicated to his craft . . .Often intellectually profound, the poetry remains assured and clear, a pleasure to read and re-read.” – Jan Owen
“Ground is . . . one of the most important books of poetry written in the last decade”. – Judith Beveridge
“What the next permutation of an anthology of poetry in Australia looks like is anyone’s guess, but I would hazard to suggest that it will be hard to outdo this fantastic volume which will stand as a testament for some time yet”. – Robert Wood, Westerly
Buy books by Martin Langford
- The Human Project: New & Selected Poems https://puncherandwattmann.com/books/book/the-human-project-new-selected-poems
- ground https://puncherandwattmann.com/books/book/ground
- Neat Snakes https://puncherandwattmann.com/books/book/neat-snakes
- Microtexts can be ordered from Island Press http://islandpress.tripod.com/ISLAND.htm
- Contemporary Australian Poetry eds. Martin Langford Judith Beveridge Judy Johnson https://puncherandwattmann.com/books/book/contemporary-australian-poetry
- Harbour City Poems: Sydney in Verse 1788 – 2008 ed. Martin Langford https://puncherandwattmann.com/books/book/harbour-city-poems-sydney-in-verse-1788-2008